rotating banner

Friday, April 16, 2010

Penguins





This last one is an attempt at some loose digital sketching with color. I'm not very happy with how much I had to work to get it even to this stage. The line quality and smoothness of the brush strokes are not at all to my liking, but I'm still getting the hang of all the tools and settings and the way the Wacom affects them. If this needed to be more painterly it would have been much easier but for some reason it's tough to freehand a simple cartoon look in Photoshop without doing all sorts of masks and stuff.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Your penguins are adorable!! I love the one sliding down on his tummy!!

Brine Blank said...

Great penguin posing. It takes me 20 times longer to do something in PS than by hand. The Wacom is much less forgiving and picks up every little jitter. And I didn't realize in the beginning that if your magnification is set at an unfriendly number (a number that is not 25, 50, 100, etc) in the lower left hand corner that the edges will appear pixelated...then I would spend forever trying to clean up edges that didn't need to be. Now I do my outline work in a vector program, import it in, then color underneath on a seperate layer in PS...of course this takes forever ever...ever...

If you've never seen Ooh Bitey Brackenwood animations check them out. Adam Phillips I believe is the guy...he does all of his storyboarding,character development and final rendering in Flash and it boggles my mind the 'cleanliness' he achieves...